Plant Base for Android - Installation
• There are two parts to the installation, because database files are not included in the apk file (they are too large).
• Loading the database files may be done either before or after installing the Plant Base app.
Install the Plant Base app
The Plant Base for Android app is now completely free for all users.
Plant Base Android 1.42 APK download
Installation of the downloaded APK file is by the "sideload" method:
- Ensure that installs from Unknown Sources are allowed - found under the device Settings/Security menu for up to Android 7, or for Android 8 onwards by the permission setting when you first attempt to install.
- If you downloaded with the browser on the device, after saving the apk file you may be offered the option to open it and then install.
- Alternatively open the downloaded APK file with any File Manager app, which will then give the option to install it (for Android 8 onwards this is where you can allow the "Install Unknown Apps" permision).
If you are unsure about the sideload install method please refer to one of the many good websites for guidance. The APK's downloaded from this site are completely safe to install and run. The apps can be easily uninstalled if no longer wanted. The only disadvantage of sideloading compared with an app market store is that you will not be offered automatic version updates, but they can be done manually.
Load the database
There are two alternative methods - either copy existing database base files from your PC or Mac to the Android device, or use our Data File Support app to download them directly from the internet onto your device. The database is large, so if you already have a copy then it will be quickest to copy it across manually.
Download using the support app:
- The Data Support app is also free Plant Base File Support 1.07 APK download
- Installation is by the sideload method, as above.
- The support app is simple, just go to the download section and tap the button. The files are downloaded from our web server and this does not need connection to a PC or Mac. Please note this a large download - about 350Mb, so please consider your internet connection.
Alternatively - manually copy the files from Plant Base on a computer:
- Locate the database files on your computer. There are normally 4 files, all ending ".dpb2" and you can find their exact location from the About display in the Plant Base program. Beware that on some systems they might be placed under a "hidden" folder, but you can set a visibility option. It does not matter if your PC/Mac/Linux Plant Base install is in the free trial period or even if that has expired - the database files are still fine.
- Connect your device to the computer with a USB cable. For Macs you may need to install "Android File Transfer" if you don't already have it.
- Check there is a directory named "PlantBase" on the built-in device storage or SD-card. If you first installed and attempted to open the Plant Base app, then this directory will already exist. If not, make a new "PlantBase" directory using a File Manager app or Windows Explorer. This directory should be created alongside standard default directories such "Books", "Music" and "Pictures" and so on.
- Using the file manager, Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, copy the database files from the computer to the "PlantBase" directory on the Android device .
The current version of Plant Base for Android is 1.42
- released Nov 2023
The Plant Base File Support companion app is 1.07
- released Nov 2023
If updating from version 1.38 or older, please uninstall the old app first. This is not normally needed but advised for this version change. The data files are not affected.
The Plant Base for Android apps are no longer available from the Google Play store.
Read more on the Blog.