There has been very little business activity in recent months due to our house move. We have been totally preoccupied by the huge amount of practical issues involved – this was much more than a change of house and more a change of life-style in a very different location!
We run the business from our home and in a few days time we will be moving house to a new area in a beautiful part of Wales, about 200 miles west of our current location.
There are a number of problems arranging an internet connection for the new house, due to its very rural situation. It may take several weeks for the land-line and broadband to be connected and it’s probable that communication will be difficult during most of July. We may be unable to respond to support and other queries for a while. However, we will do our best to catch up as soon as possible.
We have recently released our second Android smartphone app – the “Plus” edition of the original PBO Viewer. This adds the advanced search options, with all the selection choices of the “Advanced Search” online database web page.
I took a rare day off from coding yesterday, to have a walk around the Hillier Gardens. The weather was a bit dreary but as soon as I entered the gardens my spirits were lifted! Just behind the entrance buildings the winter garden area was looking great – all the classic elements were there, coloured stem dogwoods and willows, white birches, plenty of evergreen foliage and lots more. Probably the highlight for me were the flowering witch hazels, some with that fabulous fragrance. There is also a even larger collection of these over at the other side of the gardens. And then of course there are the snowdrops and aconites. Well worth a February visit.
Transferring web hosting raised just one really significant issue. That was due to the new hosting server running Apache 2 with mod_security. This appears to have an unfortunate quirk of being unhappy with most European accented letters in the the URLs – causing an HTTP 406 error.
We switched to a new web hosting company just before the Christmas break and after a few small transfer problems the website seems to be running nicely. The move was really forced on us because the previous web server had become so slow that main Plant Base installation download was taking up to 5 hours. Thankfully everything is much quicker now – the install download is back to just a few minutes on a good broadband connection and the online database is much faster too.