Useful and interesting links to other web sites
Here are some web links that we hope you may find useful or interesting. All of them are frequently used or well known by us personally. They include some links sponsored by affiliate schemes, mostly for companies that we have used ourselves and chosen for their value, quality and service. These and the similar banner adverts provide us with some small income when you click though, but at no cost to yourself. This helps keep our site running.
Plant information and sources
- Carsten Burkhardt's Web Project Paeonia - a great resource for serious peony lovers.
- Coblands Nursery/best4plants - online shopping for plants from one of the UK's largest plant growers. Highly reputable and with a fine range - we've bought from them for many years.
- Combley Plants - small but high quality wholesale nursery in Devon. They also provide a retail online/postal service via their website and Ebay shop. Plant Base user and reseller.
- Crocus.co.uk - online plant supply. They have a good reputation, reasonable delivery charges and an excellent informative web-site.
- DingleyDell Nurseries - great wholesale only nursery in Surrey, huge range of shrubs and climbers. Many of their plants are pictured in Plant Base.
- Fernwood Nursery - National Collection holders of Sempervivums and Phormiums. A wealth of information about these plants. Valued contributors to Plant Base.
- Floral Images - superb photographs by John Crellin, mostly of Northern European wild plants.
- Future Forests - very interesting garden centre in Co. Cork, Ireland. Will ship mail order to Eire, UK and elsewhere. A Plant Base customer.
- Garden Blooms Nursery - great small nursery in Yorkshire, well worth a visit when you are in the area and they even have a C&C site for overnight stays. Run by a long-term Plant Base user.
- Hebe Society - lots of fascinating information about Hebes and other plants native to New Zealand.
- Judy’s Snowdrops - great site for the Galanthus enthusiast, excellent information on a very wide range of cultivars and sale of snowdrops 'in the green'. Contributer to Plant Base.
- Mail Order Trees - online supplier of well grown trees, hedging plants and shrubs. Backed by an established family run nursery in Cambridgeshire. Easy to use and informative web-site. A Plant Base user.
- Plant Heritage (NCCPG) - the website of Plant Heritage, the world leading garden plant conservation charity, aka National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens.
- Plants For A Future - online plant database with an emphasis on plant uses, an important project.
- PlantBase - the namesake of our product, but no connection - a unique nursery in East Sussex, growing a really wide range of great plants. We like their style!
- Prior Park Garden Centre - Bath's favourite garden centre. Valued contributer to Plant Base.
- RHS - the Royal Horticultural Society - need we say more?
- Sarah Raven - hardly needs any introduction, the rather posh but nice lady from the TV. Sarah is a respected plants-woman, broadcaster and writer. She is strongly promoting the greater use of wildflowers to encourage bees and other pollinating insects.
- Wild Plants of the British Isles - an inspirational and entertaining site for those interested in wild flowers, masses of plant information and beautiful photographs, indexed by Latin, English and Welsh names.
- The Woodland Trust - very informative site about the native and introduced trees of British woodlands.
Various garden related web sites
- Anna Gresham School of Landscape Design - highly regarded distance-learning diploma course. Based in New Zealand with students worldwide.
- Friends of the Harris Garden - organisation that helps manage the gardens within the grounds of Reading University. We have strong historical connection with them and provide their website.
- GardenCAD - competent 2D design applications from an Australian software company. Modestly priced for this type of program and give the possibility of producing professional quality design work. The company also offer extensive online tutorials and even a full distance learning course for a Diploma of Landscape Design.
- Gardening by Design - very informative web-site of a recommended garden design practice based in Kent. A user of Plant Base.
- Guerrilla Gardening - make your area a better place to live!
- Royal Botanic Gardens - world famous gardens of Kew and Wakehurst Place, representing the most significant international organisation for plant science.
- Jane Follis Garden Design - established and highly regarded garden designer based in Buckinghamshire. A user of Plant Base.
- Jane Inge Landscape and Exterior Design - very experienced professional garden designer, originally trained and established in England, now living and working in New Zealand. User of Plant Base.
- Oxford College of Garden Design - renowned provider of professional level training in garden design. Based in Oxfordshire, UK.
- National Botanic Garden of Wales - this fantastic world-class garden is local to us - a beautiful and special place!
- Roots Garden Design - based at Taplow, near Maidenhead, garden design and landscaping services for Berks, Bucks, Beds and London area. Specialising in easy care garden designs.
- The Personal Plant Shopper - high quality advice and planting service located in Buckinghamshire. A long term Plant Base user.
Some other stuff:
- Basic4PPC and Basic4Android - by Anywhere Software is the programming software we used develop Plant Base for mobile devices.
- Farbyte UK Hosting - affordable and reliable web hosting. At last - quality hosting for small business and personal sites, with no hidden costs and great support. This site is hosted by them.
- One Green Earth - online eco directory with environmentally responsible businesses and other information.
- Pang Valey Ramblers - walking club in the are we used to live, for people who like to get out into the countryside. The club is also one of our valued customers.
- PayPal UK - well known service that we use to accept online payments. They offer facilities for both personal and business use.
- Pure Basic - cross-platform programming language by Fantaisie Software in France. This amazingly powerful and efficient development tool that we use to produce the new editions of Plant Base.
- Robert Hughes Photography - talented and technically skilled photographer, design engineer and qualified college teacher, working from Wokingham, Berkshire.